It’s a whole new year! What have I been up to?
- Moving back into our newly renovated house
- Delving into the hyper-productivity world of bullet and minimal-istic journaling
- Writing pictures. Recording stories. Capturing memories
- Cooking and baking and green smoothie making
- Planting my first ever (all by myself) edible garden
- Jasmine hot and iced tea sipping
- Main and side hustling. Hard.
- Learning images and playing with light
These days, I’m most excited about acquiring my first ever grown up lens – a 100mm macro f2.8, even. I also got myself a proper tripod with a boom arm, even. A few more sessions with the new equipment and I should be well on my way to… well, making prettier pictures.
So far, I’m loving the sharper images, the bokeh backgrounds, the smoother focusing… but the more I snap those photos, the more I’m learning that the camera is only a tool. It can’t make art.
That’s my job.
So I am in active photography study mode – as active as I can be, with everything else going on in my world. That’s why it’s 3am and I’m editing photos and scribbling notes while watching YouTube image-maker gurus, especially my current favourite.
And I’m playing with light.
Today I made my mother sit for ages in various poses while I opened and closed curtains, zoomed and focused, adjusted and readjusted stuff. After I finally got the technical bits just about sorted, I still felt like I needed to find a story in all these images.
My favourite shot happened when I asked my mom to think about someone she misses right now.
I think I’m beginning to get the hang of this.